January 17, 2013
For the last four years I’ve been fortunate enough to get an entire week away, by myself, in a one room cabin up in Maggie Valley, NC. It’s secluded, quiet and it has an amazing claw-foot bath tub (which is what sold me in the first place.) There’s no internet and only one spot in the whole place that I can get cell phone reception. Fine by me. But the best part is that it’s affordable…an important matter in this economy. I don’t know what it is about the place, but I have amazing writing results while I’m there, usually racking up at least 34K words while there. I think it’s magical.
I was looking forward to another wonderful week this winter, but when I emailed for reservations, I was told they were booked up until JUNE!!
WHAT??!! NO!! Not my cabin! We can’t break a tradition now! What am I going to do??!!
Needless to say, I was crushed, but proceeded in trying to find a replacement cabin for my get-away. After countless hours, I was ready to give up. There was nothing of comparable size, location and most importantly, PRICE. Anything that was even remotely close to the right size was at least $200 more than I was ready to pay. With a heavy heart, I was ready to throw in the towel.
Then…(drum roll, please)…I got a beautiful email. A dear friend heard about my dilemma and offered me the use of her condo for a week. It’s at the beach instead of the mountains, but it’s quiet and it’s a way for me to get completely away. No meals to prepare, no goats to feed and milk, no eggs to gather, wash and try to sell, no interruptions, just me, my laptop and plenty of time to get the creative juices flowing. And best of all…my friend won’t take any money for this amazing gift!! What a blessing!!
So, in about three weeks, I’m heading to the coast, with the goal of finishing the first draft of my Savannah novel. Wish me luck!!
Johnson Farm Festival - April 28, 2012
Blue Ridge Bookfest - May 18-19, 2012
Leaf & String Festival, Galax, VA - June 8-9, 2012
February 3–Malaprops, Asheville, NC reading — 7 -pm
March 18-19–Carolina Christian Writer’s Workshop, Anderson, SC
March 26–Blue Ridge Books, Waynesville, NC — 3 pm
March 29–Local Author Day, Spartanburg County Library, Spartanburg, SC–6-8 pm
April 30– Johnson Farm Spring Festival, Hendersonville, NC
May 19–Fireside Books, Forest City, NC 5-7pm
June 11-12–Galax Book Festival, Galax, VA
September 24–Celtic Festival, Dandridge, TN
**Note–this list is a work in progress.
- 1/7–Edneyville Library — 1:30pm
- 1/10–Malaprops Bookstore-Asheville, NC–3pm
- 1/21–Henderson County Main Library–4pm
- 2/16–Lanier Library- Brown Bag Lunch- Tryon, NC–noon
- 3/13–Barnes & Noble Biltmore Park-Asheville, NC–1-4pm
- 4/3–Open Door Bookstore-Hendersonville, NC–11am-2pm
- 4/15–Brevard Library-Brevard, NC–2pm
- 4/17–WaldenBooks-Hendersonville, NC–12-3pm
- 4/19–Inman Public Library- Inman, SC–6:30pm
- 4/24–Johnson Farm Spring Festival-Hendersonville, NC–9am-5pm
- 5/1–Book Day-Spartanburg, SC–all day
- 5/6–Fletcher Library (Local author series)-Fletcher, NC–2pm
- 5/8–WaldenBooks-Concord, NC–1-3pm
- 5/27–Gateway Civitan Meeting speaker-Greensboro, NC–7pm
- 5/29–Borders-Greensboro, NC–1-4pm
- 6/4-6/5–Blue Ridge Book Fest- Hendersonville, NC–all day
- 6/11-6/12–Galax Book Festival-Galax, VA–all day
- 8/7–Book Mania- Waynesville, NC–all day
- 9/4-9/5–Decatur Book Festival- Decatur, GA–all day
- 10/8-10/10–Southern Festival of Books-Nashville, TN–all day